Fireman injured in South Fork house fire

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 23:00
Floor collapses on Anchorage Fire Department captain
Two adults and two children were left temporarily homeless after a fire swept through their Hiland Road house on Feb. 12.

A fire on Feb. 12 left an Anchorage fire fighter temporarily injured and an Eagle River family’s home uninhabitable.

A 911 call went out around 4:08 p.m., according to the Graig Temple, Anchorage Fire Department assistant chief of operations.

Over 20 units responded to a family residence on Waterfall Drive off Hiland Road.

A request was put out for additional assistance from the Chugiak Volunteer Fire Department for water tenders.

The area didn’t contain fire hydrants, Temple said.

The fire was declared under control at 6:31 p.m.

“It was actually extinguished well before that but still had hot spots,” Temple said.

The crew salvaged and removed parts of the remaining wall, he said.

The family wasn’t home at the start of the fire and no civilian injuries were reported.

An Anchorage Fire Department captain, however, suffered minor injuries.

“The floor gave way and caused him to fall into the basement,” Temple said. “He was able to self-rescue and remove himself.”

The injured firefighter was transported to the hospital, where he was treated and released.

He’s currently recovering from home.

There was no reported animal loss in the fire.

The fire is currently under investigation.

Temple urged residents to have their boilers, chimneys and wood stoves checked.

Facebook comments