Lions Family and Friends Month in April
April is special time where Lions around the world are planning events to bring families and friends to learn, serve and celebrate in your local communities. Organize a service project, plan an open house, or host a lunch or picnic—you decide how to introduce your family and friends to the club you love.
The Lions World Lunch Relay on April 4 is a day of food, fun and fellowship. It’s your chance to be part of something really big. The relay kicks off at noon and we’d like you to be a part of this special event. The relay is a 24-hour, international event that brings families and friends of Lions together with families and friends of Lions around the world. It’s a great opportunity to share a meal and celebrate your club’s success, the value of service, and the rewards of being a Lion.
The Lunch Relay will begin in New Zealand at noon on April 4. As clubs around the world host lunches in different international time zones, relay will move from time zone to time zone as Lions steadily pass the event around the world.
Here are some great ways to make your Family and Friends Month a success:
• Plan an open house. Invite family and friends to learn more about your club and the difference you are making in the community.
• Go green in your community. Plan an April service project to showcase the Protecting Our Environment campaign so everyone can feel the satisfaction of improving the community. Consider planting trees, recycling or cleaning up a park for your campaign.
• Share the gift of literacy. Organize a fundraiser or service project that promotes the power of reading to children in your community. Learn more about the LCI Reading Action Program and find literacy project ideas and resources for your club.
• Sponsor a Leo club. April is also Leo Awareness Month, so it’s a great time for your club to get involved and support youth development in your community. Learn more about the Leo Club Program in the Leo Zone.
• Host a picnic or barbecue. Celebrate with family and friends after your successful service project or fundraiser.
Encourage family members to join your club and they’ll receive a special discount on membership dues when they join through our Family Membership Program.
Your local lions clubs will be hosting their annual Communitywide Easter Egg Hunt at Eagle River Lions Park at 1 p.m. April 20. Our park is located just across the street from Wal-Mart. There will be more information later about this event.
If you would like to learn more about being a Lion, please visit www.lionsclubs.org. Locally, you can contact the Eagle River Lions Club at www.eagleriverlions.com, or The Sleeping Lady Mountain Lions at www.sleepingladylions.org, or give me a call at 242-1129.