“From the Chugiak Calendar...”
The Chugiak Calendar was a forerunner of the Knik Arm Courier. It was a four-page folded mimeographed weekly published by Cloyce and Justine Parks, who operated Moosehorn Trading Post in the early 1950s. Aptly named, it contained primarily a weekly calendar of events and ads for local establishments, plus a few items of general interest that were mainly about the Chugiak Elementary School, the only school between Palmer and Anchorage at that time.
From the April 8, 1954 Calendar:
New Eklutna Installation to be Blown Up
The territorial Director of Civil Defense has ordered a practice exercise in the Chugiak area for the end of this month, according to a bulletin issued by Vernon Haik, Director of the Greater Chugiak C.D. District, which extends from Eagle River to the Knik bridge. Warning sirens and whistles will sound the 3-minute “red” warning at 1 p.m. on Sunday, April 25. Traffic will be controlled on the highway until the exercise ends at 2:30 p.m.
District has six areas
The Chugiak District is made up of six areas, each with a director, chiefs and workers. In the next few days each area director will call a meeting to acquaint workers with their duties in case of emergencies such as this practice maneuver will demand. Chugiak gained nation-wide attention by the interest and activity shown in the fist Civil Defense operation a year ago and it is hoped that this test will be equally as successful.
This column is provided by the Chugiak-Eagle River Historical Society. Reach them at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 688-4706.