Fire destroys Chugiak home


Published:

A fire destroyed a Chugiak home Sunday, June 30 at 21720 Blair Avenue.

The detached garage was fully engulfed and fire and smoke were showing from the home’s roof when crews arrived, Chugiak Volunteer Fire Department spokesman Jeff Hartley said.

Seven CVFD units responded along with three from the Anchorage Fire Department. Crews put the fire out in 40 minutes, Hartley said, but the house was a total loss.

“The home basically was gutted,” he said.

A neighbor called 9-1-1 around 3:40 p.m., Hartley said, and crews arrived seven minutes later.

Owner Thomas Knott fought the flames with a garden hose before CVFD was on scene, Hartley said. Knott was able to salvage a few personal items from the basement, he said.

Hartley said Knott told firefighters an explosion occurred in the garage after Knott turned on a welder. Knott couldn’t be reached for comment.

No one was injured in the fire.

Add your comment:
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags