Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 14:23

Serial eluder arrested again

An Anchorage man led police on a brief high-speed chase that began near Eagle River at speeds of more than 110 mph near before patrol cars boxed him in and officers broke out his windows to arrest him.

This wasn’t 35-year-old Johnny Havird’s first run-in with police at high speeds. Havird was arrested in 2008 after police tracked him from Anchorage to Wasilla driving in excess of 120 mph.

This time around, another driver called 911 to report a reckless driver in a green BMW on the southbound Glenn Highway just before 5 a.m. July 7, police said. In the car were Havird and a female passenger.

Officer Brandon Otts tried to stop Havird in the Hiland Road area but Havird accelerated to speeds in excess of 110 mph and Otts terminated his pursuit after a short distance, according to a synopsis provided by police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker.

The officer radioed ahead to Anchorage-based officers, and three attempted to stop Havird at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Airport Heights. Sgt. Jared Tuia pulled in front of Havird, who immediate put his BMW into reverse and rammed Officer Christopher Nelson’s patrol car, which had pulled in behind him. The officers ordered Havird out, but he refused to cooperate, according to the synopsis. So they broke out the driver-side window, opened the door, and extracted Havird, putting him in handcuffs and into the back of a patrol car. He refused to cooperate with field-sobriety tests and asked repeatedly to be taken to jail, the synopsis states.

An officer tried to get a breath sample – apparently without success – and called a magistrate to set bail: $20,000 cash/corporate and third-party custodian required. The officer called Havird’s parole officer to tell him about the bail. Havird was arrested on charges of resisting arrest, third-degree criminal mischief, reckless endangerment, felony DUI (three or more offenses in 10 years), driving on a revoked license, third-degree assault, reckless driving, felony refusal to submit to a chemical test and failing to stop at the direction of an officer.

In 2008, Havird led police and Alaska State Troopers on a high-speed chase that began in Anchorage and ended in Wasilla only after spike strips punctured his tires. He was arrested on charges of assault, eluding police, criminal mischief, driving with license suspended and driving without insurance and booked in the Anchorage Jail on $225,000 bail, according to media reports at the time.


Chugiak woman wrecks garage

Anchorage police said they arrested a 27-year-old Chugiak woman on charges of malicious destruction of property July 4 after she ransacked a garage. Oiffcers found Roberta Kozevnikoff in a garage at a home on Original Avenue around 4:30 p.m. The garage was “in disarray” with a washing machine turned on its side and broken glass on the floor from a broken china cabinet, according to an officer’s summary provided by police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker. The officer also noted an open refrigerator with all of its contents tossed on the floor. He described Kozevnikoff as extremely intoxicated. She was lodged at Anchorage Jail in lieu of $350 bail.


Loud party turns disorderly

Anchorage police said they arrested Jeremy Lawson, 22, of Eagle River following a noise complaint at about 6:30 a.m. on July 8 at a home on Copper Mountain Drive in Eagle River. Officers arriving at the house heard loud voices and music, according to a synopsis provided by police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker. Officers informed Lawson of the existence of “quiet hours” and told him several times to turn down the music or face arrest for disorderly conduct. He “stood on the steps using profanities instead of going in and turning down the music as asked,” the synopsis states. Then Lawson requested to be arrested, it continues, and made threats toward an officer and his family while in custody. He also tried to get the officer to fight him. Lawson was arrested for disorderly conduct and taken to Anchorage Jail on $500 bail.


DUI arrest

Anchorage police said they arrested Michael Lanz, 22, of Big Lake for driving under the influence just before 3:30 a.m. on July 9 after stopping him for speeding on the southbound Glenn Highway between the Birchwood exits.

Lanz told the officer he had “drank a gulp of Four Loko and had also smoked marijuana,” according to a synopsis provided by police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker. His license had been revoked for a prior DUI offense, records showed. Lanz failed field-sobriety tests but a breath test showed his estimated blood-alcohol level at .000. The officer obtained a warrant to seize a blood sample and search for the presence of drugs. The results of that test weren’t available. He was arrested for felony DUI, three or more DUI arrests in the last 10 years.


Charges are merely accusations; defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty at trial or until a plea of guilty is accepted by the courts.

Facebook comments