Mustangs edge West in overtime

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 19:00
Chugiak football improves to 2-0, 1-0 in CIC
Chugiak senior Tyler Carnahan fights through a tackle from West’s Chad Young on Friday, Aug. 23 at Tom Huffer Sr. Stadium. The Mustangs won 14-7 in overtime.

Anyone who pays attention to Chugiak High football knows Jake Brownlee and Kenny Pegues are two of the team’s leaders.

On Friday, Aug. 23, they showed why.

The seniors anticipated West’s final play of the game, which ended 14-7 in favor of Chugiak after Brownlee’s one-handed sack of Eagles quarterback Tyrone Davis on fourth down in overtime at Tom Huffer Sr. Stadium.

Prior to the final snap from the 3-yard line, Brownlee made another heads-up play when he called timeout after Mustangs’ head coach Duncan Shackelford’s shouts for timeout from the sideline fell on deaf ears.

Predicting Davis would run a bootleg, Brownlee asked the coaching staff if he could move outside.

Good call.

Just as Pegues and Brownlee expected, Davis rolled out and Brownlee brought him down to the turf to seal the win.

“I made a good move outside and I got him,” Brownlee said. “It felt great.”

Shackelford said he can count on that kind of intelligence from Brownlee.

“He’s a smart kid,” Shackelford said.

Like the rest of the game, the final play proved Chugiak was prepared for West, Shackelford said.

“We had them pretty well scouted,” he said.

The Mustangs held the Eagles to just 187 total yards.

Chugiak gained 243 yards of offense and managed just nine first downs.

“We both kept each other off balance,” Shackelford said.

Sophomore Ben Stewart scored the game-winning touchdown on a quarterback sneak on fourth and goal on the first possession of overtime.

A 3-yard pass to Vander LeKites came up about an inch shy of the goal line prior to Stewart’s second score of the game.

Chugiak’s defense nearly ended the game on the final play of regulation when the Mustangs sacked Davis just inches from the end zone as time expired.

After a scoreless first half, West’s Lui Faamasino broke off a 57-yard touchdown run on the Eagles’ second possession of the third quarter. Faamasino led all rushers with 102 yards.

Chugiak answered four minutes later on its next possession. Stewart capped a seven-play, 58-yard drive with another 1-yard touchdown run to knot the score at 7-7. Like the game-winner, Stewart’s first TD came on fourth and goal.

Karson Forbush provided most of the drive’s yardage when he hauled in a pass from Stewart for 45 yards. Consecutive West penalties then put Chugiak at the Eagles’ 3-yard line.

Chugiak’s conditioning keyed the victory, Pegues said. An in-shape Mustangs defense was able to wear down West’s offensive line, he said.

“That was the difference,” Pegues said.

Chugiak showed more determination, he said.

“We wanted it more,” Pegues said.

The Mustangs also worked together as a team, Pegues said.

“We’re all as one,” he said.

With the win, Chugiak improved to 2-0 overall and 1-0 in the conference. The Mustangs travel to Dimond (0-2 overall, 0-1 CIC) on Friday, Aug. 30 at 7 p.m. The Lynx are coming off a 36-29 loss to Eagle River.


Contact Mike Nesper at 694-2727.

Facebook comments