22-year-old JBER soldier killed in action
A 22-year-old airborne infantryman from Loveland, Colorado was killed April 30 in Afghanistan, the Army said Tuesday in a press release.
Spc. Gabriel David Conde was killed by enemy small arms fire in the Tagab District of Afghanistan. He was a member of the 3rd Battalion, 509th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division. Also known as the “Spartans,” the 4/25 deployed to Afghanistan in the fall of 2017. The Army said Conde enlisted in 2015 and deployed in September, 2017. He had been assigned to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson since April 2016.
Conde is the first member of the brigade killed in action during its most recent deployment, although one soldier died and several were injured in a vehicle crash in Nangarhar Province in December 2017.
A press release issued by U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said one service member was killed and another wounded in “a combat operation in eastern Afghanistan.”
The statement said several Afghan security force members were also killed or wounded.
“My thoughts and those of U.S. Forces-Afghanistan are with the families and friends of our fallen and wounded service members,” Gen. John Nicholson, commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, said in the CENTCOM statement.
The statement said the wounded service member was taken to Bagarm Airfield hospital and was in stable condition.