Chugiak council elections held
UPDATE (Jan. 19, 10:56 p.m.): The council met on Jan. 19 and held its yearly election. Re-elected to serve on the council were Steve Connelly, Randy McCain and Burke Wonnell. Blake Merrifield and Darryl Parks were elected to fill the expiring seats of Erin Davichin and Deborah Jones, both of whom decided to not seek re-election. McCain was elected president, Jake Horazdovsky was elected vice president, Parks was elected secretary and Wonnell was elected treasurer. Davichin volunteered to fill an expiring alternate seat and was selected. All the votes were unanimous. On the Carol Creek issue, the council recommended calling a meeting of the Chugiak-Eagle River Advisory Board to further discuss the issue among all area community councils as is allowed Chapter 10 of the Municipality of Anchorage's Title 21 land use regulations. Title 10 was written specifically for the Chugiak-Eagle River area separate from the rest of the muni.
The Chugiak Community Council has a lot to talk about at its Thursday, Jan. 19 meeting.
As part of its old business, the council will continue its discussion on the Carol Creek project, a proposal by the Heritage Land Bank to amend land use rules to allow for a high-density property development near the McDonald Center in Eagle River. The proposal has drawn stiff opposition from area residents, who think such a development is not in keeping with the area’s semi-rural nature.
The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. at the Elsie Oberg Center, located at 18606 Old Glenn Highway in Chugiak.
In addition to the Carol Creek update, the community council will hold its annual elections. Council president Maria Rentz said there will be four seats open, as well as an alternate. Rentz said the council will also hold elections for board officers, including president, vice president, secretary and treasurer.
Anyone is welcome to attend the meeting, though only residents of the council’s area (which includes Thunderbird Heights, Chugiak, Fire Lake, Mirror Lake, Eklutna and Peters Creek) can vote or run for office.
CHUGIAK COMMUNITY COUNCIL
Thursday, January 19th, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
Elsie Oberg Community Center / Chugiak Benefit Association North Building 18606 Old Glenn Highway (Next to Chugiak Children’s Services), Chugiak, Alaska
1. CALL TO ORDER (Quorum 5 Elected Board Members)
2. INTRODUCTIONS (Board Members / Presenters / Guests from outside the Chugiak Community Council area)
3. APPROV AL OF MINUTES
4. APPROV AL OF AGENDA
5. GUEST PRESENTATIONS
6. UNFINISHED BUSINESS / ACTION ITEM UPDATES
• Chugiak Community Council Scholarship Update
• Carol Creek Area / Chugiak-Eagle River Site-Specific Land Use Plan Update
7. REPORTS / UPDATES
• CBERRRSA Board of Directors (Road Board) – Randy McCain
• C/ER Advisory Board (CERAB) – Randy McCain
• Federation of Community Councils (FCC) – Deborah Jones
• Financial – Deborah Jones
• ER/C Parks and Recreation Board of Supervisors – Tony Sisto
• Mail – Burke Wonnell
• Secretarial – Jake Horazdovsky
• General Council Business – Maria Rentz
8. NEW BUSINESS
• Council Elections
• Community Policing Survey – Nora Morse, Special Assistant / Press Assistant, MOA Mayor’s Office
• Conversation with Mayor’s Office and Eklutna, Inc. regarding land contamination issue at Kerbow Lane
9. OPEN FORUM
10. NEXT MEETING DATE: Thursday, February 16th, 2017, 7:00 PM