Jamie Marie (Tuk) Casey, 40, and unborn baby girl, passed away at their Chugiak home on Monday morning, June 24, 2019, as a result of a heart attack.

She was born on May 25, 1979, in Enumclaw, WA, to Bill and Care Tuk. She married her soulmate, Jeff Casey, on November 9, 2013. Jeff and Jamie have two children, Scott(4) and Samantha(2). Jamie’s favorite part of life was being a devoted loving wife and mother.

Staff returned to their offices inside the Eagle River Town Center Building after the structure was again deemed safe to occupy by the Alaska State Fire Marshal.

The local parks and recreation and street maintenance departmens are back in their normal spaces, as is the Chugiak-Eagle River Chamber of Commerce. The Chugiak-Eagle River Library is also in the process of re-opening, but will remain closed until staff can get caught up.

Ed Willis, a former Alaska legislator and Anchorage Assembly member who was an early advocate for special education and instrumental in bringing a high school to Chugiak in the 1960s, died Monday in Anchorage. He was 94.

Willis was a longtime Eagle River resident who spent the last decade living at the Veterans and Pioneers Home in Palmer, according to his family.

Mike Wallace, the last of three well-known brothers who helped shape early Chugiak, died on Oct. 24, 2017 at his home. He was 82.

The Wallace brothers — Mike, Art and Til — arrived in 1950s Chugiak-Eagle River and quickly established themselves among the town’s foremost characters. Art and Til started a brick business that helped build several of the area’s early buildings. According to his obituary, Mike Wallace and his parents came to Alaska to join Art and Til after Mike got out of the Army.

Longtime Chugiak resident Bruce Edward Arndt died Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at the Chugiak-Eagle River Senior Center in Chugiak, Alaska. He was 100 years old.

A 62-year Alaska resident who served as a U.S. Army officer in WWII and Korea, Bruce was preceded in death by his wife, Hazel Anne (Drake) Arndt, of Chugiak; and his parents, Frederick and Marguerite Arndt. He is survived by his three children: Fred Arndt of Tucson, Arizona; Marguerite Iverson of Anchorage; and Jane Jordan of Anchorage; as well as eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

Erin Johnson wasn’t just one of the good ones — she was one of the best.

“There are certain students that stand out,” said Heather Beck, Johnson’s eighth-grade English teacher at Mirror Lake Middle School in Chugiak.

Johnson was one of those students. Even as a middle-schooler, it was clear the girl with the sparkling eyes and wide grin had a unique presence, Beck said.

Dee Steeby, left our world for her heavenly home, May 30th, 2017 ending her battle with cancer. She passed away quietly at her home with her husband and children at her bedside.

Delores “Dee” (Coots) Steeby was born to Zora “Tick” and Mary Coots on August 22, 1932 on a farm near Oswego, Kansas.

She attended several one room elementary schools in Labette County and graduated high school from Labette County Community High School in Altamont, Kansas.

Michael Kocher’s death at the hands of police near Denver, Colorado earlier this month was the final chapter in a story that had become increasingly tragic as Kocher descended into a world of drugs and psychological problems.